Skip to main content

Lentil Ew??

Lentils.
What do you think of when you hear that word?
Usually something along the lines of brown, mushy, EW. But please indulge me and let me try and convince you otherwise.

Lentils are part of the legume family and originated in India and Pakistan. They come in all different colors including yellow, red, orange, green, brown, and black. They are alsopacked with nutrients. Having the 3rd highest protein of any plant based food, they contain a significant source of fiber, folate, B1, and iron (ladies??). When mixed with the right assortment of spices and vegetables, the power food has a delicious earthy taste and smooth texture.

When I was in 4th grade, my mom was having more and more health problems and the lupus was getting the better of her. My parents were referred to a natural path doctor and decided to give it a try. This changed our family's life for the better.

Not only were we introduced to natural herbs, plants, and minerals that would help my mom (and us) but also, a brand new way of eating. We had never eaten nutritionally poor, but did not get enough whole grains, fruits and veggies. We were a dutch-casserole-eating family, with lots of white flour, dairy, and carb heavy. My mom starting making brown rice instead of white, adding large portions of vegetables to each meal, limiting sweets, baking with 100% whole wheat flour, and lowering our dairy intake.

Now I have never been a picky eater or anything, but those were some rough days. My mom was trying all sorts of "weird" recipes and the pendulum swung to the COMPLETE opposite time. I don't recall hating it, but my sister sure did. One night, she sat at the table and growled, "I want meat!" (which we also lowered our intake of). One of those "weird" recipes my mom tried was a lentil soup. The first try was TERRIBLE! Seriously, it had no flavor and was really just brown, mushy, EW. But then she got it right when she tried a recipe with ham. It was mmmmm good!

Needless to say, the health kick we went through balanced out and my mom found a healthy balance in her recipes. Now that I do my own cooking, I am O-so-grateful that we ate as we did. I have realized the immense benefit to "eating from the ground", and not from a box. I love exploring new recipes and ways to incorporate food that is natural instead of processed to death.

Here's a no-brainer that people still don't seem to get:
YOU FEEL SO MUCH BETTER WHEN YOU EAT HEALTHY! SO MUCH! I can't emphasize this enough.

All this being said, I wanted to share a delicious lentil stew recipe that I made last night. Along with the lentils, it also contains butternut squash, which makes it an absolutely delightful combination. And the best part: it's a crock pot recipe. It takes just 10 minutes of preparation, all day of effortless cooking, and it's ready for dinner! Seriously, try it.

~SheriLynn



Lentil Stew with Butternut Squash

Serves: 8
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cook time: 6-8 hr.

  • 3 large stalks celery, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
  • 1 large (12-ounce) onion, chopped
  • 1 large (2 1/2-pound) butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch chunks
  • 1 bag(s) (1 pound) brown lentils
  • 4 cup(s) water
  • 1 can(s) (14 to 14 1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
  • 1/2 teaspoon(s) dried rosemary
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 ounce(s) Parmesan or Romano cheese, shaved with vegetable peeler
  • 1/4 cup(s) loosely packed fresh parsley leaves, chopped
Directions:
1. In 4 1/2- to 6-quart slow cooker bowl, combine celery, onion, squash, lentils, water, broth, rosemary, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Cover slow cooker with lid, and cook as manufacturer directs on low setting 8 hours.

2. To serve, spoon lentil stew into serving bowls; top with Parmesan shavings, and sprinkle with chopped parsley. Makes about 11 1/2 cups.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leo Allen's Birth Story

The day my little Leo was born was truly, the best day of my life. Now I know, I'm supposed to say that about the day I married Jeffrey, but the day I married him was not the important part as much as the marriage we had/have ahead of us (which is still awesome by the way!)  The day I had Leo was truly the best day on so many levels.  Often times when I've heard people talk about the birth of their child, I think they are typically referring to the actual baby-comes-out and meeting them part.  What I am referring to is the whole shbang.  From the very first contraction to finally holding him in my arms.  It was hard, yes, but I don't think that holding him in my arms would have been nearly as amazing without everything leading up to it.  From start to finish, delivery and  labor were absolutely amazing! Now, I had been preparing for years for the birth of my child - researching, reading, and envisioning what would happen.  Birth has always been wondrously fascinating t

Alaska Updates from Jeffrey

The following updates have been sent by letter to me (Sheri) from Jeffrey in Alaska. I will be taking parts of his letters-with his permission of course-and filling you guys in on what he has been up to. 6.16 "The trip has been nice so far. I couldn't sleep hardly the first night. I stayed up and watched the fading red skyline as we chased the sunset west. John's grandson Max is really enjoying the trip too. He reminds me of Zoe and Halle." (our nieces) "He puked a few times last night...poor kid. Still chipper though. The inside passage is beautiful from what I've seen. It's alot like the islands at home. My bunk is a quaint quarter on the bow. I only have about 2 feet of clearance above my head. I hope I don't wake up too fast! IF I bump my head, I'll just laugh and think of how you would make fun of me." 6.18 "Upon arriving in Alaska my attention is commanded by the innumerable mountains that are scattered across my vision.

ants

Bam.  Gone.  Yes! Wednesday night, I left to go to the gym at 6 PM.  Our kitchen was clean and ant free.  When I got home at 7:30, the floor by the side door I came in was COVERED in ants.  Like, hundreds of ants.  EEEEWW.  That was one of the things I hated most about our house in Salem.  I thought maybe we had gotten lucky and wouldn't have to deal with that here.  Apparently, I was wrong. One tiny dropped piece of gram cracker was the culprit. I immediately recruited Jeffrey to come to the store with me to get some ant killer.  We settled on the little ant food/poison houses that we have used before.  They had worked at our last place pretty well so I hoped they would do the same here.  By yesterday morning, not much had changed.  The ants didn't seem to fond of my sneaky 'houses' and they were running around like crazy.  I was frantic to get rid of them.  I remembered something that had worked at our first house and decided to give it a try again.  After my morn