Skip to main content

Energy

Happy Hump Day!  So I think I had a bit of the flu bug this Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday (seeing as everyone at work has had something similar).  Oddly enough, I feel pretty much back to normal this morning.  Whew!  That was short lived!  I honestly just think my immune system is super strong right now due to a few things:

1.  Working with kids: lots of germs = lots of built up immunity to a lot of things

2.  More intense workouts: instead of my daily cardio and weight sessions, I've been swapping in some high intensity interval and circuit workouts (think Jillian Michaels style mixed with Insanity).  Not only have my muscles been loving it but I have even more energy than ever!

3.  Regular sleep: I have made an effort to get at least 8 hours of sleep every night, often times closer to 9. This may be a bit more than the average person needs (7-8), but for me, it's just right =)

4.  LOTS of vitamins:  I saw a few documentaries a while back that disarmed the thought that you can overdose on vitamins (minerals, however, you can).  I think this has made a huge impact on my health and energy levels.  Specifically large doses of vitamin C.

5.  Obviously eating healthy, but this is a given for us in the Schloemer household.  But I am always trying new ways to incorporate MORE fruits and veggies into our meals.

Since we are on the energy topic, I wanted to share an absolutely delicious, kick-you-in-the-butt with energy smoothie I've been drinking the last few days.  It is loaded with tons of good vitamins as well as fiber and protein.  It will get you moving for sure!


Energy Smoothie

- LARGE handful of spinach
- 5 to 10 small frozen strawberries
- 1/2 banana
- big squirt of lemon juice (or 1/2 fresh lemon)
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder (or not....either way is tasty)
- Tangerine Emergen-C (I'm sure other citrus flavors would be good too)

*Blend 1-2 minutes or until super smooth.  Enjoy with a straw - the only way to drink a smoothie!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leo Allen's Birth Story

The day my little Leo was born was truly, the best day of my life. Now I know, I'm supposed to say that about the day I married Jeffrey, but the day I married him was not the important part as much as the marriage we had/have ahead of us (which is still awesome by the way!)  The day I had Leo was truly the best day on so many levels.  Often times when I've heard people talk about the birth of their child, I think they are typically referring to the actual baby-comes-out and meeting them part.  What I am referring to is the whole shbang.  From the very first contraction to finally holding him in my arms.  It was hard, yes, but I don't think that holding him in my arms would have been nearly as amazing without everything leading up to it.  From start to finish, delivery and  labor were absolutely amazing! Now, I had been preparing for years for the birth of my child - researching, reading, and envisioning what would happen.  Birth has always been wondrously fascinating t

Earlymorningfalllove

As I grudgingly pulled myself out of bed this morning at 6:23 AM to get ready for a class which I simply had to "make an appearance at", I thought about how much I wanted to crawl back in bed and snuggle up next to my warm husband. It was O, so tempting considering it was about 50 degrees in the room but I mustered up the courage to slide out and make my side of the bed, so to keep the option officially off limits. My shower seemed to liven my sleepy self and I hurriedly got ready for the day (hair, makeup, get dressed, make a smoothie, take vitamins, fill up water bottle, pack backpack, give Jeffrey a kiss goodbye, start freezing cold car, climb in, and drive). I don't really enjoy my 50 minutes of concrete from Salem to Newberg 2x a day but have some what gotten used to it. This morning, however, when I stepped outside, I was blasted with 39 degrees of crisp and refreshing goodness: Fall! It was the first morning I actually FELT a shift in the weather and it was so

Skiing, parents, GRE, and other activities

I realize that it has been a while since I updates our blog but things have been pretty crazy lately...not crazy bad...crazy good! Jeffrey and I were able to go home for Christmas (we were unsure if we could because of his work schedule). We split the time between our families and were able to see a good majority of our friends as well. We went to Redmond, OR January 4-6 and stayed in a condo in celebration of our one year anniversary. It was a wonderful time to get away, relax, and spend some concentrated time together! We went skiing at Hoodoo Mountain for a day, walked around the quaint town of Sisters, OR for another, and basically slept in, ate, and relaxed. We also started reading an excellent book together! On our way back home, we stopped and snowshoed around for a couple of hours. It was perfect and just what we needed before starting another semester! Jeffrey took the GRE on January 3rd and raised his scores from the last time he took it! They were still a little unde