Skip to main content

Alaska Updates from Jeffrey

The following updates have been sent by letter to me (Sheri) from Jeffrey in Alaska. I will be taking parts of his letters-with his permission of course-and filling you guys in on what he has been up to.

6.16
"The trip has been nice so far. I couldn't sleep hardly the first night. I stayed up and watched the fading red skyline as we chased the sunset west. John's grandson Max is really enjoying the trip too. He reminds me of Zoe and Halle." (our nieces) "He puked a few times last night...poor kid. Still chipper though.
The inside passage is beautiful from what I've seen. It's alot like the islands at home.
My bunk is a quaint quarter on the bow. I only have about 2 feet of clearance above my head. I hope I don't wake up too fast! IF I bump my head, I'll just laugh and think of how you would make fun of me."

6.18
"Upon arriving in Alaska my attention is commanded by the innumerable mountains that are scattered across my vision. There is enough to outnumber their hovering rain clouds which shade them. I have often caught myself wondering if a man has ever touched all these specks of earth. I am drawn to this place for numerous motivations and multiple agendas.
God must have had a spectacular fantasy while creating this scape. I could enjoy this event on any occasion. Yet, for all this splendor I instantly recognize that I must return again for an even greater fulfillment to witness such grander and immense stimuli with my bride fro both of them, wife and mountains, I forget to breath while taking in their beauty."

6.19
"We arrived in Petersburg at 2:30 this morning. The sky was only a light shade of darkness and it was chilly. I was so excited it took me an hour and a half to fall asleep.
We went out to the bay to run a practice set. It was confusing but I think it will only be a short time before the pattern is routine.
While on the bay I could see hundreds of snow cloaked mountains. Glorious! One of these peaks is the renown "Devils Thumb" which rises a prominent dominance of the other peaks. I took special notice of this summit because some two or tree decades ago John Krakauer climbed to the top. He wrote about this endeavor in one of his most aclaimed works, "Into the Wild."

6.20
"Sunday was our first day opening for fishing. It's difficult work, especiailly when the boat is rocking and the wind is blowing. Apparently, compared to worse days we'll see, Sunday was pretty good. It was even sunny! The catch was terrible. Less than 3,000 pounds all day. But there is another opener on Thursday (6/24). Hopefully that is better.
I am looking forward to working some more and using some of my retaining energy. Today is rainy so I cannot go hiking like yesterday!!
I am nearly finished with my latest Krakarer book, "Under the Banner of Heaven." It is different than I had imagined it to be. The book premises a story about 2 radical Mormon brothers who kill 2 members of their family. The majority of the book, however, is backstory to the fanatically violent history of the fundamental mormon faith. I have found myself outraged at mormons more than a few times during this read. It is a good avenue of challenge for my extra time and energy I think. My next book is "Christless Christianity" the one Jenny and Dad gave me for graduation."

Comments

  1. What a great way to stay connected. Thank you for taking the time to post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wold love to read this. grandma o.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Leo Allen's Birth Story

The day my little Leo was born was truly, the best day of my life. Now I know, I'm supposed to say that about the day I married Jeffrey, but the day I married him was not the important part as much as the marriage we had/have ahead of us (which is still awesome by the way!)  The day I had Leo was truly the best day on so many levels.  Often times when I've heard people talk about the birth of their child, I think they are typically referring to the actual baby-comes-out and meeting them part.  What I am referring to is the whole shbang.  From the very first contraction to finally holding him in my arms.  It was hard, yes, but I don't think that holding him in my arms would have been nearly as amazing without everything leading up to it.  From start to finish, delivery and  labor were absolutely amazing! Now, I had been preparing for years for the birth of my child - researching, reading, and envisioning what would happen.  Birth has always been wondrously fascinating t

love.

Today is valentines day (in case the stores and advertisements didn't clue you in on that). On my drive to work I started thinking about what exactly valentines day means to me. Some people argue that it is a day for expressing love to all your dear friends and family. While still others believe it is simply about the romantic love between a couple. I'm not sure I feel strongly one way or the other. Other than elementary school, I have never been one to buy valentines and candy for everyone. I shoot a few texts out and feel a little extra "lovey" all day but that's about it. I never dated anyone before Jeffrey so I never had a special someone to share the holiday with either. Usually all my girlfriends would get together and celebrate singleness. It was never really a big deal to me. Now that I'm married, however, I am really "feeling the love". Jeffrey and I don't get carried away with it or anything (I would hope that we wouldn't sh