Skip to main content

Alaskan Adventures

Sent by letter from Jeffrey

6/26
"Ironically, fishing has become more of a "reality" to me. Of course it varies from year to year, but there is much more down time than I expected. I have already finished one book and am partway through my second. Both are Krakauer literatures. Its my 11th day from leaving Bellingham.
I have taken some things into account if I decide to fish again: 1: bring a pair of casual jeans, holes in the knees get really old! 2: bring a nylon sleeping bag or linens, Dad's sleeping bag, though warm and cozy and smells like him does not allow for mid sleep rotation in a tiny bunk 3: do a full check of all items before leaving home. Somehow I escaped without toothpaste, face wash, a wash cloth, and not enough reading material.
I keep reminding myself that despite financial strains, God has been faithful in providing for our needs. Well, more fishing tomorrow!"

6/30
"We saw 2 grizzly bears from the boat the other day. That was pretty cool. I attempted to take some pictures. But I ran out of film and it was a long-shot with a blurry picture in the digital.
The days seem to all run together here. Not just because it is only dark for 4 of the 24 hours in each day but because there is no definition between weekday and weekend. The days themselves appear no different from the next except for their names. I truly feels more wild. Even the neighborhood houses in Petersburg are tucked quietly among the brush and trees. Some folds yards are merely an extention of the bush where deer pass through like any other game trail. The other day while in Petersburg, since everyone else had people they could visit, I decided to venture out and discover what I could of the little town. I ended up walking on streets and trails from nearly 3 hours. Its a charming harbor town, but I can definitely understand why the youth get into so much trouble. It was a pretty neat walk. I ended up crossing an equally inquisitive doe on one hike trail. We passed one another with about 20 ft. between us and slowly revolved around until our paths crossed. Both of us were sincerely interested in the other, but neither moved very quickly. It was a poetic dance with a godly creature of nature."

7/4
"Yea, so fishing is still crapy. We fished all day today and only caught 10,000 lbs of fish. This is better than our previous openings but still terrible. I calculated that we needed to catch an estimated 15,000 lbs of fish just to pay for fuel.
I am desperately needing a hair-cut. I think I will attempt to do this in my own efforts using a comb and scissors and mirror...it could be interesting."

"Today it occured to me...
In Mark 1:17, Christ gives his disciples the decree that he will make them fishers of men! As I was wrestling the web out on a windy sea chop day, I began to consider what this means. When Christ introduced this analogy, I do not think it was happen-stance that he chose it. In the day of Christ, fishing was one of the lowest occupations; among farming and baking bread. Fishing was an occupation that simply made enough money to live on for just a single day. Rarely did one make enough daily wages to keep a savings plus! No doubt, fishing is bust ass work! If this is anything like what Christ insinuated to his disciples in the Mark passage it is now clear to me that discipleship is not a lazy saturday morning drinking a beer and casting a lazy pole. Discipleship is difficult work that requires daily practice, and often it is only enough to get by. BUT!!! God provides! God opens doors!
No in my present situation I have been praying that God fills our own nets like he filled Peters nets after his resurrection. Fo full that the nets nearly broke. My "nets" overfloweth!"

7/6
"It is fascinating to me how being marooned to a 300 square foot vessel suddenly begets a game of "every man for himself" sort of survival. I began to think things were going to merry and jelly. But some how this survival mode has surprised even me to think of all the vengeful seething words my mind is capable of. Of course nothing is ever said from my mouth. I have also noticed I do talk very little. I think it is a defense and constant struggle to always be positive. I suppose that in an overview, everything except the fishing itself is going well. Just last night Lance and I stayed up until 2 AM talking about philosophy nad religion. This has been one of the best highlights of this excursion so far. I keep praying that God will use me to every extent possible here. So far things are in good light. It's difficult, but really good!"

7/13
"We've finished with the cost recovery program! Its been nearly 15 days since we have not fished. Today I slept until 11:00. It felt fantastic! I'm not even feeling guilty!
Fishing has been pretty crappy still though. The last sunday opening for regular season was cancelled for lack of fish. However, this left all the fish for the 5 cost recovery boats. 2 days in a row we maxed out our boats capacity. One of the gentlemen that are working for the hatchery said that since the fish run has turned to predominately female that the run is nearly finished. That is crappy. Cody tells me that when the Hidden falls run (which is where we are now) dies off, then we will go further South to a coast town of Craig.
Its been over 2 weeks since we've been back to Petersburg, so I have not received a piece of mail yet."

7/16
"My first piece of mail!!! Of course it is from none lovelier than my sweet wife! I am told I have more to come. We shall see. Today we are back in Petersburg after yesterdays opening. From what I've heard our boat caught the most of any other that sold to our tender...by more than 2x the catch. Thats good news!
I think in a bout a week we are going to head South to Craig and fish for Pinks and Reds on the coast. Cody says this is where most of our money is going to be made. NICE! We are less than halfway done with the season and I have already grown a longing for home. Not for its comforts or niceties, nor for its luxury transportation but for its company, for its love, and for pint of home brewed stout!
I am thankful to our Lord for his provision regardless of its medium. I believe this experience is one of excellent growth and an opportunity for wonderful scenery. Even if it means pooping from the handrail of REALITY's fish boat deck.
Mmm...fishing!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leo Allen's Birth Story

The day my little Leo was born was truly, the best day of my life. Now I know, I'm supposed to say that about the day I married Jeffrey, but the day I married him was not the important part as much as the marriage we had/have ahead of us (which is still awesome by the way!)  The day I had Leo was truly the best day on so many levels.  Often times when I've heard people talk about the birth of their child, I think they are typically referring to the actual baby-comes-out and meeting them part.  What I am referring to is the whole shbang.  From the very first contraction to finally holding him in my arms.  It was hard, yes, but I don't think that holding him in my arms would have been nearly as amazing without everything leading up to it.  From start to finish, delivery and  labor were absolutely amazing! Now, I had been preparing for years for the birth of my child - researching, reading, and envisioning what would happen.  Birth has always been wondrously fascinating t

Alaska Updates from Jeffrey

The following updates have been sent by letter to me (Sheri) from Jeffrey in Alaska. I will be taking parts of his letters-with his permission of course-and filling you guys in on what he has been up to. 6.16 "The trip has been nice so far. I couldn't sleep hardly the first night. I stayed up and watched the fading red skyline as we chased the sunset west. John's grandson Max is really enjoying the trip too. He reminds me of Zoe and Halle." (our nieces) "He puked a few times last night...poor kid. Still chipper though. The inside passage is beautiful from what I've seen. It's alot like the islands at home. My bunk is a quaint quarter on the bow. I only have about 2 feet of clearance above my head. I hope I don't wake up too fast! IF I bump my head, I'll just laugh and think of how you would make fun of me." 6.18 "Upon arriving in Alaska my attention is commanded by the innumerable mountains that are scattered across my vision.

love.

Today is valentines day (in case the stores and advertisements didn't clue you in on that). On my drive to work I started thinking about what exactly valentines day means to me. Some people argue that it is a day for expressing love to all your dear friends and family. While still others believe it is simply about the romantic love between a couple. I'm not sure I feel strongly one way or the other. Other than elementary school, I have never been one to buy valentines and candy for everyone. I shoot a few texts out and feel a little extra "lovey" all day but that's about it. I never dated anyone before Jeffrey so I never had a special someone to share the holiday with either. Usually all my girlfriends would get together and celebrate singleness. It was never really a big deal to me. Now that I'm married, however, I am really "feeling the love". Jeffrey and I don't get carried away with it or anything (I would hope that we wouldn't sh