Skip to main content

here's to the men.

In December, Jeffrey and I will be celebrating four years of marriage.  I am happily married.
Correction.  I am head-over-heals-love-him-more-each-day-blessed-beyond-measure-happily married!
Ok, enough with the mushy stuff and on to the reason this post is titled, "here's to the men".

As I think over my journey of meeting my husband and everything leading up to that, there are a number of factors that I know contributed to finding this wonderful man.  Everything from having a similar upbringing to great communication, are obviously apart of it.  But I wanted to focus on one of (I believe) the key factors.  

Men.

That's right, men.  We (as women) have all had our fair share of experiences, both good and bad, with men.  Whether we realize it or not, they have helped shaped our view of who we are as women and what we deserve in a boyfriend/spouse.  This starts at childhood and goes into our teenage and young adult years.  The statement, "you always end up with someone like you father" is more than often times true (obviously, not always), but I believe extends to other influential males in a females life.  

My experience: 
 I grew up with a wonderful example of how a man should treat a women.  From a young age, my father instilled in me confidence in who I am as a women - always telling me I was beautiful (when, seriously, I had some super awkward years), intelligent, and deserving of the most wonderful man someday.  I was taught to work hard and stand up for myself when needed.  He treated my mother with love and respect.  My brother (even though he was younger) has grown to be a healthy amount of protective, giving lots of hugs, telling me he loves me (so important to hear), and having a steady, gentle, and playful spirit.  These two, along with a handful of male friends throughout middle and high school have shown me respect and friendship that I deeply value to this day.  I sincerely believe that having male friends who treated me so well, is what set my standards high and helped me avoid a lot of heartache before meeting my wonderful husband, Jeffrey.

So here's to you, my dear friends, who have been apart of my journey.  I am o-so-thankful for each and every one of you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leo Allen's Birth Story

The day my little Leo was born was truly, the best day of my life. Now I know, I'm supposed to say that about the day I married Jeffrey, but the day I married him was not the important part as much as the marriage we had/have ahead of us (which is still awesome by the way!)  The day I had Leo was truly the best day on so many levels.  Often times when I've heard people talk about the birth of their child, I think they are typically referring to the actual baby-comes-out and meeting them part.  What I am referring to is the whole shbang.  From the very first contraction to finally holding him in my arms.  It was hard, yes, but I don't think that holding him in my arms would have been nearly as amazing without everything leading up to it.  From start to finish, delivery and  labor were absolutely amazing! Now, I had been preparing for years for the birth of my child - researching, reading, and envisioning what would happen.  Birth has always been wondrously fascinating t

ants

Bam.  Gone.  Yes! Wednesday night, I left to go to the gym at 6 PM.  Our kitchen was clean and ant free.  When I got home at 7:30, the floor by the side door I came in was COVERED in ants.  Like, hundreds of ants.  EEEEWW.  That was one of the things I hated most about our house in Salem.  I thought maybe we had gotten lucky and wouldn't have to deal with that here.  Apparently, I was wrong. One tiny dropped piece of gram cracker was the culprit. I immediately recruited Jeffrey to come to the store with me to get some ant killer.  We settled on the little ant food/poison houses that we have used before.  They had worked at our last place pretty well so I hoped they would do the same here.  By yesterday morning, not much had changed.  The ants didn't seem to fond of my sneaky 'houses' and they were running around like crazy.  I was frantic to get rid of them.  I remembered something that had worked at our first house and decided to give it a try again.  After my morn

Alaska Updates from Jeffrey

The following updates have been sent by letter to me (Sheri) from Jeffrey in Alaska. I will be taking parts of his letters-with his permission of course-and filling you guys in on what he has been up to. 6.16 "The trip has been nice so far. I couldn't sleep hardly the first night. I stayed up and watched the fading red skyline as we chased the sunset west. John's grandson Max is really enjoying the trip too. He reminds me of Zoe and Halle." (our nieces) "He puked a few times last night...poor kid. Still chipper though. The inside passage is beautiful from what I've seen. It's alot like the islands at home. My bunk is a quaint quarter on the bow. I only have about 2 feet of clearance above my head. I hope I don't wake up too fast! IF I bump my head, I'll just laugh and think of how you would make fun of me." 6.18 "Upon arriving in Alaska my attention is commanded by the innumerable mountains that are scattered across my vision.